This past Monday I gave a talk at the Java Student User Group Austria (jsug.at). I seldom had such a lively, enthusiastic, interested and curious crowd as an audience. In was fantastic! I covered 6 topics that are a must-be-considered before you start development. There are more, but I picked those that seemed most important for me:
- Build scalability into your design – it allows you to start small and adapt as load grows
- Short transactions keep a system scalable – think if strategies to keep your transactions short
- Asynchronous processing – keep threads short, and prevent peaks that paralyze your system
- Establish caching as pattern early in the project
- Pay attention to your data access, e.g. avoid chatty transactions, query tuning, query optimization, etc.
- It’s never just the software alone, i.e. take a holistic view at scalability
Copyright © 2010-2012 Michael Pichler